Les Capucins was the site of a church from the late 11th century, and of a Capucins monastery from the 16th century. The monks grew cereals and raised fish, and were appreciated in Baugé not least because they contributed to feeding its population. They were expelled after the French revolution and the house went into private hands.
A large part of the present house was built around 1580, and additions were made in the early and late 19th century. The church was demolished in the early 19th century but some of its walls, and a crypt, are incorporated into the present house.
The park is arranged on three levels and provides an excellent setting for picnics and dining. There is a 19th century orangery where a restaurant is installed for the opera festival.